- Zoo – Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! More like, oh yes. Take your date out to the zoo for a lovely day-date adventure. Not only is it inexpensive, but it also takes the pressure off thinking of things to talk about. You have a million animals to discuss if that awkward silence comes along. Beware, not of the animals, but of the $$$ of the food. I would suggest packing a lunch for you and your mate – make it cute!
- Hiking – A hike a day keeps the expensive dates away. How about you and your lover go for a nice hike? This one is free and fun. What’s not to love? Oftentimes, people tend to open up more easily while walking. So before you know it, you two will be at the top of the mountain and on top of feeling connected.
- Camping – There’s nothing like the good ol’ wilderness to spark some romance. The price of this date depends on how extravagant you want to get. However, you can make this pretty cheap – it’s called sleeping in a sleeping bag underneath the stars. So light up that camp fire, make some s’mores and call it a night!
- Rollerskating/Iceskating – What is more fun than this? Nothing. This date is not only cheap, but it also comes along with a lot of laughs. There’s nothing more funny than watching someone you love fall face down while skating. And better yet, you’ll be there to pick him or her back up. What a hopeless romantic you are.
- Beach – With this idea, you are killing two birds (preferably seagulls) with one date. You get to enjoy a nice inexpensive day at the beach with your partner AND you get to see him or her half naked. Sounds like a win-win to me.
Archives for May 2014
After a breakup, it’s common to feel lost, confused and full of many emotions. One way to help yourself through this puzzling time is to find out who you are again. So often in relationships, we lose a sense of ourselves and our identity. So why not change up some things to help reinvent yourself? Here are 5 areas in your life that you can easily alter…
- Hair – A new you – a new do. This is probably the number one thing people do during a big change in their life. I mean, do people still remember the show “Felicity”? You don’t have to go as drastic as she went, but why not try a new hairstyle? Think back to when Anne Hathaway got bangs in “The Devil Wears Prada.” Instant hottie effect. Plus there’s something so cathartic about cutting off some of that hair.
- Room – Don’t you always feel better after you clean your room? Well imagine how you will feel if you rearrange the furniture + clean it. This is the time (if you haven’t already done so) to take down all of the pictures of you two together. Put up some new photos of who makes you happy in your life, or even some cute framed motivational quotes. You call it spring cleaning, I call it ex-boyfriend cleaning.
- Music Library – Still got those old 90’s songs on your playlist that you never listen to anymore? Throw those out, along with those shoes you have from 5 years ago. Delete the songs that remind you of your ex and add in new songs that will empower you. Find new music —> Find the new you.
- Wardrobe – There’s nothing that says “the new you” like a new outfit. Clean out your closet and throw away those clothes that you know you never wear anymore. Rule: If you haven’t worn it in a year, you probably won’t ever wear it. Donate those clothes and buy yourself some new ones. Be brave and wear something you normally wouldn’t have before. I hear the new you can pull off anything, am I right?
- Health – This is one of the most important things to change, not just after a relationship ends, but just for yourself. Start out slowly. Maybe sign up for a gym membership, or you can start running around your neighborhood. 5k Runner App is really great to help with motivation (for those non-runners out there). Keeping a food journal is a great way to keep yourself accountable for what you eat. The better you feel about yourself, the happier you will be. Plus, according to wise Elle Woods “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy”.
Dinner for Two Please
Take it from a girl who masters the microwave like nobody’s business, when you cook for your man or woman for the first time, you’ll want it to be EASY. Nothing says “kiss me now” like a delicious meal for the one you love. And nothing says “see ya later” like burnt pizza in the oven, sweat rolling down your forehead and you ordering fast food from down the street last minute. Here are some super-manageable meal ideas that will leave your partner happy (and you a little less crazy).
- Pizza – Pizza is the Beyonce of foods, it’s always a crowd pleaser. It is super easy to make and will leave you both full of happiness, love and cheese. Your date will appreciate that you made it yourself, instead of having it delivered. If you want to get even craftier, you can make homemade pizzas together. Tip: if you don’t have enough time to make the dough, most stores sell it pre-made. Here’s a great homemade pizza recipe.
- Cheeseburger – Mmm who doesn’t love a good cheeseburger? Well, unless you are a vegetarian, then go with the pizza idea. If you have a George Foreman grill, then making burgers should be quite simple! Another great way to make them is to use a slow cooker. Here’s a fabulous recipe for those who can prep the meal hours beforehand and are into a short amount of cooking time : Cheeseburger recipe.
- Cheese plate with fruit + wine – Holla if you’re a cheese plate kind of gal like me. This semi-meal is easy and tasty! I would suggest adding in some fruit, bread and/or crackers and some meats. Guide to making the perfect cheese plate.
- Chicken Tacos – I love this idea because you can set up the dinner table extra cute. Again, use the slow-cooker for this one. After the tacos are done, you can set out bowls for all the extra ingredients (guacamole, lettuce, cheese, salsa, etc.). Chicken taco recipe.
- Pasta – You didn’t think I was going to leave out this classic dish, did you?! Pasta. It’s an all-time fave. I thought I would add in a healthy arugula pasta salad option for all you health nuts out there. Yummy arugula pasta salad recipe.
And for dessert…
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries – This is hands down the easiest dessert to make. Plus, people always think you went above and beyond to make these. All you need to do is buy some strawberries, wash them off and use the microwavable chocolate dip (you can find this at any grocery store). Easy peasy!
Knowing Your Love Language → Happy & Healthy Relationship
Gary Chapman created the theory that both men and women have 5 different love languages. That’s right ladies and gentlemen, not just 1, but 5! The idea is that you and I have different ways of feeling loved. Maybe one person feels loved by receiving sweet “I love you” texts in the morning, while another person, like myself, feels cupid’s arrow when gifted a Noah’s bagel from his or her partner. (The cream cheese/bagel ratio is perfection tbh) It’s important to understand which of these love languages speak to you and which ones are important to your lover.
The Five Love Languages
- Words of Affirmation – This is the girl or the guy who feels loved through words. You’re the girl who wants to hear your guy tell you how beautiful you look. Or you’re the guy who feels most happy when hearing the words “I love you.” So if your guy or girl is into words, you better start speaking up!
- Receiving Gifts – I know this one sounds superficial, but hey, no judging. This is the person that feels more love with every Michael Kors watch he or she gets. So if you’re a Stingy Sam or a Stingy Sally, maybe a partner with this love language isn’t your best fit.
- Quality time – Most people enjoy quality time with their partner, but some with this love language, enjoy it to the max. This is the person who fills his or her love tank with time spent together. So start planning more dates if this sounds like your lover.
- Acts of Service – This love language is all about feeling the love through kind acts, such as doing the dishes, laundry, cooking, you get the point. Luckily, I am not with a man whose love language is this one because I ain’t no Susy Homemaker. Am I right?
- Physical Touch – I’m not just talking about sex here people. It’s more than that. This person feels most connected when holding hands, hugging, etc. So if your mate is in this category, cuddle up next time you’re watching your favorite TV show.
You don’t have to be rich to be ridiculously good-looking.
This week I wanted to focus on lipsticks because every gal needs a good lip color to show off those kissable lips. Lipstick can be quite expensive, so I usually tend to buy drugstore brands. Step aside haters – they are just as good as designer lipstick, and sometimes they are even better. One of the most important things to know when buying a lipstick is how long will it last on those lovely lips. Will it make it through the night or will it disappear with the first bite?
Well ladies, I have found the holy grail…Revlon ‘Just Bitten Kissable’ Balm Stain. This stain lasts all night long and even until the next morning. SERIOUSLY. The next morning I have to work hard at getting it off, so make sure to exfoliate your lips before you hit the hay.