You’re already nervous during a first date – don’t make yourself more anxious because of your food choices. Eating is definitely not one of the prettiest sights, so choose wisely when deciding on a meal. Pick a dish where you won’t be “picking” at your teeth later on.
10 Foods to Avoid
- Spaghetti – The ‘Lady and the Tramp’ days are over. You may think spaghetti could be romantic, but there’s nothing romantic about struggling to get the noodles in your mouth and ending up with sauce all over your face. Pasta is a great meal to order, but choose one with easier noodles to eat (ex. penne, rigatoni, farfalle, etc.)
- Sushi – Going to a sushi restaurant is a great first date, however it’s not so great when you’re trying to stuff a giant roll in your mouth. Be cautious when ordering. Try to choose a smaller roll, therefore your dignity will still be intact by the end of the night.
- Salad – Only get a salad if you actually like it. Don’t be one of those girls that orders a salad on a first date and barely touches it. Eating is sexy. Again, I repeat, eating is sexy.
- Corn on the Cob – I mean, do you want to be picking out the corn from your teeth throughout the date? No, I didn’t think so. Order it sliced so you can still enjoy your corn, without the ‘getting it stuck’ part.
- Beans – Beans beans the musical fruit, the more you eat the more you. . . well, you know. Hence, forgo the beans to end up classy, not gassy. But if you can’t resist, then you might need to refer back to this post.
- Ribs – There’s nothing that says sexy like sauce all over your face and hands. Um just kidding. Unless you want to be a mess, try to pick another meat option.
- Spicy Spicy Spicy Foods – Some like it hot! And if that’s you, that’s fine – but do you want to be wiping off the sweat from your face throughout the date? Didn’t think so. Make it mild, unless you want to get wild.
- Garlic Bread – If you’re the only one ordering this, then I suggest you rethink it. Garlic breath = #1 kiss killer. However, if you both eat it, then you will both have bad breath and it won’t matter!
- Spinach – For all you health freaks out there, try to hold back on ordering spinach. I know it has great nutrients in it, but that won’t matter when your date can’t stop staring at the green thing in your teeth.
- More than 2 drinks – I know this isn’t a food, but dear god it needs to be mentioned. No more than two alcoholic drinks on a first date. Take it from a girl who loves a good cocktail, it’s just not how you want to portray yourself on date #1. So say yes to two mojitos, but after that, mo-jit-NO.