Look Who’s Coming To Dinner
Meeting the parents. EEK. This can be one of the most nerve-racking moments in a new relationship. Are they going to like you? What are you going to talk about? Will they approve? Etc. How do you make a good impression? I’ll tell ya how… a present. Everyone loves a gift, so why not start out on the right foot? If you want to avoid a “Meet the Fockers” situation, here are a couple gift ideas to bring with you.
- Bottle of Wine – This is a “kill two birds with one stone” kind of present. A) You are giving the parents a nice bottle of wine and B) you get them tipsy, and the more tipsy they are the higher the chance they will like you. (I always like people more after a couple sips of alcohol) Caution: This might not be best for those Mormon parents out there…maybe fresh lemonade would be a better choice.
- Flowers – Everybody loves flowers, including Mom and Dad. Ask your guy what kind of flowers his mother likes best. Make sure to bring the flowers in a vase so they don’t have to do any extra work. You know what they say, a flower a day keeps the crazy mother-in-law away!
- Candle – A candle is a nice gift if you don’t really have an idea of what kind of parents you’re about to meet. If your bf is no help in describing them to you, then a candle is your best bet. It’s like the Switzerland of gifts, it’s neutral while still being quite pleasant.
- See’s Candy – Do I even need to explain this one? No, its damn good chocolate.
- Olive Oil – This present is great for the parents that love to cook. You can find some awesome olive oils that are wrapped up quite nicely. It’s a unique gift and they will appreciate it.