Our society often tells us that being in a relationship is the be-all end-all. I mean, just watch all the romantic comedies on Netflix and you’ll believe it too. We are a society driven by love and companionship, leaving us feeling like we need to rush to find “the one.” With this fear of ending up “alone,” some of us have been afraid to be single. Hence, we jump from relationship to relationship, not even realizing where one began and the other left. This leads us to finding Mr. or Ms. Wrong, settling for second best and not taking the time to figure out who we are as an individual. Maybe it’s a good idea to ask yourself: Are you ready for a relationship?
I’m not saying relationships aren’t amazing. Finding true and deep love is arguably incomparable to anything else. But in order to find this kind of selfless love, you need to find it within yourself first. So, take your time and don’t rush into anything because we’re not always ready to go from a one-some to a two-some.
Here are some signs that you may need to be single a little longer. And don’t worry: that is not a “bad” thing at all!
1. You still social media stalk your ex like it’s your full-time job
Who needs Sherlock Holmes when they have you? Also, who has time to date when you’ve got Facebook posts to go through and IG photos to screenshot?!
2. No way are you going to give up sleeping in the middle of the bed
There ain’t no way you are giving up this prime piece of bed real estate for another person.
3. Tinder is your version of crack
Gym, tan, tinder — right? Your fingers can’t swipe as fast as your heart would. Giving up online dating would be like giving up the Boardwalk property in Monopoly. No way that’s going to happen.
4. Every night is a Friday night
The last thing you want to do is give up a Friday night out with the ladies or fellas for a date night.
5. You’ve bought enough condoms for a small army
You are in your sexual prime right now and there’s nothing and nobody that will stop you. Monogamy, more like moNOgamy.
6. You thank God every time one of your friends talks about his or her relationship woes
The only drama you want in your life will come from the latest episode of The Real Housewives.
7. You only want to treat yo self, not treat another person
You are relishing in this time to think about you and only you.
8. Your therapist said so
If there’s one date you need to keep, it’s the one with your therapist.
9. You get all “Carmen San Diego” when someone likes you
If you can disappear better than a magician once you realize there is a potential future with someone, you are probably not ready to be in a relationship.
10. You wish you could make everyone take a lie detector test
If after this you Google, “how expensive is a lie detector test,” I believe I rest my case.
11. You’re looking for Prince or Princess Charming
THERE IS NO SUCH THING.
12. Cristina Yang is your soul sister AKA you’re emotionally unavailable
You’re closer to finding that old pair of socks in your closet, than you are to finding your emotions.
13. You believe love is as real as Big Foot
And I won’t even bring up Valentine’s Day.
14. Mr. or Ms. Wrong sounds right to you
If you’re still goo goo ga ga for the guy who never calls back or you’ve got a thing the girl who can’t remember your name, you may not be ready for a relationship just yet.
15. Your chameleon game is strong
You change just as fast as the latest nail color while you’re dating someone. If you’ve been hipster with Rachel, and then punk rock with Brandy, and then lumbersexual for Alice, then you should probably be single as your next look.