Gift Ideas For Your Mate
Kanye West once said ‘my presence is a present’. Even though he may be a lyrical master, it appears he may not be the master of gift-giving. It ain’t easy to get your partner the perfect gift, especially if you’ve been with the same person for a while. After giving 5 years of anniversary presents, Valentines Day gifts, etc., you start to feel like you’re running out of ideas. When thinking of a gift to give someone, it’s best to make it personal. Sure, a gift certificate is awesome, but it doesn’t have the same effect as a handwritten poem, or a drawing you illustrated. Here are some DIY gift ideas that will give Santa a run for his money.
- 365 ‘Things I love about you’ Tear Off Calendar – This DIY calendar is the Almighty gift. I made this for my boyfriend two years ago and he still talks about it today. First, you have to think of 365 things you love about your mate. Sounds pretty easy, until you hit number 200 and then you have to start googling synonyms. Next, you cut out 365 sheets of paper (whatever size you prefer) and write out the 365 things. After you are done (and your hand hurts like hell) you take it to FedEx or another paper company and have them finish the rest (they glue it and cut the paper nicely). Voila – you’ve got your very own 365 tear off calendar for your lover. It’s a fun gift that will make your partner happy each and every day.
- Man or Woman Bouquet – This one is perfect for any occasion! Here is a great tutorial for how to make one. You can put anything on it that your man or woman loves. Some items to use: mini bottles of alcohol (you can find these at a liquor store), candy or chocolate, scratchers, lottery tickets, food items, cigars, gum, etc. This gift gives a ‘bouquet’ a whole new meaning!
- Date of the Month – The ‘Date of the Month’ gift is where you plan out 12 dates for you and your beau. Cleverly describe the date idea (in writing) and package it up nicely in an envelope or box. Each month your partner gets to open up the surprise date! This idea is great because you don’t have to spend a lot of money all at once, just a little each month. Plus, it’s a sure way for you two to do something special every now and then. Click here for an awesome tutorial + free printable tags.
- Paper Flowers – Why buy flowers, when you can make them?! Paper flowers last forever, while store-bought flowers are temporary. Here is an easy tutorial on how to make paper punch flowers for your one true love.
- Framed Lyrics – Most couples have ‘a song’ – whether it’s a song that reminds them of each other, or a song that makes them think of a special moment. A great gift idea is to search Etsy for some of your favorite lyrics printed out that you and your partner love. You can either buy it framed, or have the print framed yourself. So if you’re smart fellas, start buying those printed Beyonce lyrics for your ladies.