After a breakup, it’s common to feel lost, confused and full of many emotions. One way to help yourself through this puzzling time is to find out who you are again. So often in relationships, we lose a sense of ourselves and our identity. So why not change up some things to help reinvent yourself? Here are 5 areas in your life that you can easily alter…
- Hair – A new you – a new do. This is probably the number one thing people do during a big change in their life. I mean, do people still remember the show “Felicity”? You don’t have to go as drastic as she went, but why not try a new hairstyle? Think back to when Anne Hathaway got bangs in “The Devil Wears Prada.” Instant hottie effect. Plus there’s something so cathartic about cutting off some of that hair.
- Room – Don’t you always feel better after you clean your room? Well imagine how you will feel if you rearrange the furniture + clean it. This is the time (if you haven’t already done so) to take down all of the pictures of you two together. Put up some new photos of who makes you happy in your life, or even some cute framed motivational quotes. You call it spring cleaning, I call it ex-boyfriend cleaning.
- Music Library – Still got those old 90’s songs on your playlist that you never listen to anymore? Throw those out, along with those shoes you have from 5 years ago. Delete the songs that remind you of your ex and add in new songs that will empower you. Find new music —> Find the new you.
- Wardrobe – There’s nothing that says “the new you” like a new outfit. Clean out your closet and throw away those clothes that you know you never wear anymore. Rule: If you haven’t worn it in a year, you probably won’t ever wear it. Donate those clothes and buy yourself some new ones. Be brave and wear something you normally wouldn’t have before. I hear the new you can pull off anything, am I right?
- Health – This is one of the most important things to change, not just after a relationship ends, but just for yourself. Start out slowly. Maybe sign up for a gym membership, or you can start running around your neighborhood. 5k Runner App is really great to help with motivation (for those non-runners out there). Keeping a food journal is a great way to keep yourself accountable for what you eat. The better you feel about yourself, the happier you will be. Plus, according to wise Elle Woods “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy”.